On average, 1 out of 26 licensed drivers are involved in a crash every day, according to the Virginia Highway Safety Office 2013 VA Traffic Crash Facts. Preparing and understanding how to handle a car accident ahead of time will help you act appropriately if the real thing happens. Read more about the steps you should take when an accident occurs:
- Stop. As soon as it’s safe to do so, move your car to a safe area away from traffic or put your hazard lights on to warn other drivers.
- Call 911 and/or the Police. If anyone is injured call 911. However, it’s good to have an officer at the scene whether anyone is hurt or not.
- Collect the other driver’s information. Gather information and write it down while the incident is still fresh in your mind, and in the minds of others. The information you should have are the names of the driver and passenger, the license plate number, insurance information, the make and model of the car, contact information, and the location of the accident.
- Take pictures of the scene and the accident with any kind of camera you have at the time.
- Contact your insurance to file a claim.
Apple Financial Services LLC can help keep your car as safe as possible with an affordable auto insurance policy. We take the time to assess our clients and understand their needs to find the right insurance coverage. Contact us for a no cost, no obligation Auto Insurance rate quote today.